Friday, June 10, 2011

Week 2: Comment #2

Nancy's Blog

I was able to fully understand that there is now a significant paradigm shift in how I perceive things. I will no longer view my life as a limited, negative on an unclear path. I will focus on viewing past the unforeseen obstacles in order to achieve…

Writing this letter, as Zander suggested, will be a great exercise to apply on the first days of school. I am looking forward to having my students think about the future (in past tense) in order to have them take responsibility of what they foresee doing, creating, thinking and analyzing. The ownership that comes from this type of exercise is two-fold. One, it empowers students to make the right choices for “their” future and two; it establishes a great relationship based on trust.

This weeks reading has been an incredible eye opener.  Viewing life with a positive attitude in order to achieve great heights has been the underlying theme for this weeks reading. I appreciate this informative insight, especially during this time in my life, since I had a tough year in my present school. Although I was doing a great job, I still questioned my actions. I unfortunately and occasionally found myself focusing much of my attention to the negative aspects of certain students. By doing this, I missed out on what drove their hunger and passion. However and thankfully, I would catch myself, therefore shifting my attention to what excited them the most.  Upon my realization, I found that I was blessed to witness, what Zander refers to as: “shiny eyes”.

I was completely enamored by Michelangelo’s idea of chipping away in order to get to the beauty of the marble (or student). I have applied this specific principle in how I’ve graded assignments and most particularly, hand made projects. I understand that students are not all on the same level and comparing one student to another is unfair. Many of my grades come from projects that students create throughout the school year and even though there are some set parameters, I strongly encourage creativity in order to plant the seed of individuality. It is no surprise that many of my students frequently state that it was during the creation process, that they were able to find their individual skill, mastery and voice. The reading emphasized that this paradigm shift of “giving an A” allows for the much needed mutual respect.

Students’ contributions have always been the theme of my class. In fact, my classroom motto is, Where Your Story Becomes History. I emphasize the importance of participating and contributing in order to excel both in my class and ultimately, in the world. I always display student works, regardless of grade. In fact, I refuse to post the grade on the project as to avoid comparing projects and facing humiliation. I much rather celebrate both their immense contributions and individual creativity.

The reading brought up a really insightful topic: inventiveness. The idea that things aren’t always what they seem. That is why having a positive attitude is important. Some people may even call this religion or having faith in God. Knowing the unknown and being able to see things in a brighter way will definitely create a more superior lifestyle. Being able to navigate through tough times will undoubtedly assure a better outcome.

I truly enjoyed this weeks reading and I am looking forward to giving myself better grades as I continue on this incredible journey (that is only getting better).

Thank you.

Zander, R., Zander, B. The Art of Possibility. Harvard Business School Press. 2000.


Capture2
Screenshot of Nancy's Blog

@ Nancy

I am always amazed at the positive outlook you bring to everything you do Nancy. No matter how hard we have had to work this past year in the EMDT program. You have always managed to put your best foot forward.   It is a well known saying that no matter where you go there you are, and no matter where you go, you bring your positive outlook and great attitude which can only be considered assets. I am sure that your classroom is an excellent place to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment