Sunday, June 5, 2011

Week I - Comment 2

Week I - Comment #2

Kathleen's Blog

Copyright issues are always a hot button issue it seems.  The readings for this week were very interesting and pertinent to our work at Full Sail and our work in the class room with kids. When helping kids create we need to keep them mindful of what copyright is and isn’t and how to respect the artists who create the music, movies, books, etc. that we love.
I deal with much of the information in the copyright videos with my media lit/film studies class and my juniors in composition. We spend a good bit of time talking about the tangible, fixed format issue. It is hard to get kids to wrap their heads around this issue.

It is very interesting to see the different ways that different countries deal with copyright issues and how they view the US on this matter. International copyright is a bit of a sticky wicket it would seem. I think people should be able to feel confident they own the rights to what they create I also think that sometimes people who ‘sample’ music or create mashups or music montages are not trying to rip the original artist off but are trying to reimagine the work to fit their schema.
I remember a Wired magazine issue (I had to go look it up it was 2004) where there was a CD inside and it was music that artists created for other artists to sample. The entire issue was devoted to this issue.

This link takes you to the music they used.
 
I think one thing that jumps out at me in all of this copyright discussion is that we need to be careful about how we use other people’s work, but we also need to realize that most people aren’t out to rip off the artists.

Copyright
photo courtesy of stock.xchng
@Kathleen

I think you make some very good points. In the discussion of copyright, and copyright infringement, no one talks about how the younger generations are supposed to learn how to responsibly interact with the the media they are exposed to everyday. Is it the job of teachers, or parents, or both? Personally I think it is both because we do not just learn in school, we also learn from the examples that our parents and friends and so on. I also think that the media industry could do more on their end, rather than scaring kids into doing what they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment